Coral Springs Rideshare Accident Attorney
Each time you drive in a car, there is always a chance that you could be involved in a car accident. Car accidents, whether you are driving or not, can be devastating and leave you severely injured. Accidents involving rideshare companies and drivers can be particularly disconcerting because there are many external factors involved.
If you or a loved one have been involved in a rideshare accident, you may have a claim. At Rosenberg Law Firm we have more than 20 years of experience, and our law firm has recovered awards that help injury victims pay their medical bills, replenish lost wages, and achieve peace of mind with pain and suffering damages. Our Coral Springs personal injury lawyers will fight for you to receive compensation for your injuries and losses and we will stand up to rideshare companies and insurers who refuse to compensate you a fair amount.
Our Legal Team Pursues Compensation for Rideshare Injury Victims
Insurance matters are challenging to understand, especially regarding rideshare accidents. There may be a fight over whether or not the company owes you money and arguments over other relevant facts that affect your case. Regardless of the circumstances, our Coral Springs rideshare accident attorney will hold all liable parties accountable for the settlement they owe you.
The Law Office of Andrew G. Rosenberg P.A. has recovered awards on behalf of past clients, including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death awards
- Punitive damages
- And more
Our legal team will evaluate your case and consider all your past and future damages to determine a fair value for you. We will also document acts of negligence and preserve evidence so that you get a reasonable amount under Florida law.
Find out how we can help you obtain a negotiated settlement or civil award today. You don’t have to worry about paying upfront because we operate on a contingency fee basis, so you owe us nothing until after we win your case. For a free consultation, call us at (954) 833-4776 or contact us online.
Common Causes of Rideshare Accidents in Coral Springs
The rideshare industry is booming in Florida, thanks to the state’s busy tourist industry. Rideshares offer unbeatable convenience for both visitors to the sunshine state and residents who need rides home from clubs or to local destinations. While the majority of experiences with Uber and Lyft rides are uneventful, when an accident occurs, you may be left wondering where to turn since Uber and Lyft distance themselves from liability by maintaining their status as an app company only used to connect passengers with independent contractors. Rideshare accidents in Coral Springs often result from the following causes:
- A distracted driver looking at his rideshare app, GPS, or cellphone
- Fatigued driving (many rideshare drivers do this as a second job after their working hours)
- Intoxicated driving
- Speeding to increase the overall number of rides per shift
- Disregarding traffic laws
- Making U-turns due to unfamiliar locations
- Third-party accidents caused by a driver other than the Uber or Lyft driver
Although some studies show that rideshare services may have decreased the number of drunk driving accidents in Florida, the added congestion of many vehicles on the road waiting for passengers, driving to pick-up locations, and transporting passengers may have increased overall fatal accident numbers by as much as 3%.
What Steps to Take After a Coral Springs Rideshare Accident
Depending on the severity of the car accident, you may be unable to move without causing further injury, in which case you should remain in place until emergency services arrive. If you are able to use your phone—or ask an uninjured bystander to use your phone for you—taking the following steps can help protect your physical safety and financial future:
- Call 911 to report the accident
- Use the rideshare app’s “Trip Issues” option to report the accident to Uber or Lyft
- Take photos of the accident scene, including the rideshare vehicle, any other involved vehicles, and landmarks like intersections and traffic signals
- Add the contact information of the rideshare driver, other involved driver(s), and eyewitnesses
- Accept emergency transportation to a hospital and tell the medical providers about all injuries and symptoms
- Ask for a detailed report with your prognosis and the recommended treatment
- Ask the police for a copy of their accident report
- Make every followup appointment and procedure, report any new symptoms during the weeks following your accident
- Call a rideshare accident attorney to evaluate your case to see if you could gain compensation through the special insurance coverage used by rideshare drivers
Uber and Lyft have insurance coverage that provides up to $1 million in compensation for injuries if you were a paying passenger and lesser amounts if you were a pedestrian or other motorist in an accident involving a rideshare vehicle that wasn’t transporting a passenger.
Rules for Rideshare Accident Injury Cases
Uber and Lyft have developed comparable insurance policies for their drivers in the event of an accident. These coverages depend on the circumstances of your accident with the rideshare driver, including:
- Option 1: You were a passenger: A driver actively transporting a passenger while on duty is typically covered by Uber or Lyft’s insurance policy. This policy provides high limits for personal injury and property damage.
- Option 2: You were not a passenger: You could initially submit a claim with the negligent driver’s insurance company. If the driver’s insurance company refuses your claim, Uber’s or Lyft’s policies may apply.
- Option 3. Rideshare driver not logged into the app: An off-duty driver is not covered by the insurance plans of Lyft or Uber. As a result, an accident involving an off-duty driver will be covered by the driver’s personal insurance.
Florida’s No-Fault Insurance Rules Affect Your Case
Due to Florida’s no-fault insurance system, you will file a claim with your insurer. Financial recovery then depends on the type of policy you acquired and the scope of coverage. It also depends on whether the driver was logged into the app, if you were a passenger, and other details.
You cannot recover pain and suffering damages under no-fault insurance rules, regardless of the circumstances, unless your injuries exceed the severe injury threshold. Our Coral Springs rideshare accident attorney will elaborate on whether your situation exceeds this threshold and how you can go about getting additional compensation for your losses under the law.
Florida Statute of Limitations for Rideshare Accidents
All states place time limits on an injury victim’s ability to make a claim after an accident. Florida accident victims have a generous 4-year statute of limitations for filing injury claims after a rideshare accident. If you’ve been in a rideshare accident, you have 4 years from the date of the accident in which to file a claim. The best time to file a claim is once you have an idea of the scope of your financial damages related to the accident but before evidence may become lost or eyewitness testimony degraded.
Get More Answers with a Free Consultation
Rideshare accidents are expensive for insurers to settle. Ensure that you are getting a reasonable amount during a free consultation with a Coral Springs rideshare accident attorney at Rosenberg Law Firm by calling (954) 833-4776 or via our online contact form.