Black Friday Fiasco: Slip & Fall Injury at Sawgrass Mills Mall in Sunrise, Florida
You’ve seen it in countless holiday movies. It’s Black Friday at Sawgrass Mills Mall and crowds are pressing and rushing into stores to get the perfect holiday gift at a price they can really give thanks for. People are fighting over snagging the limited deals or getting their hands on the last Turbo Man doll.
We’ve all laughed at the antics of the clumsy dad who threw out his back trying to carry that 80” UHD OLED Smart TV over his head through a sea of people, or the mom who tripped over that holiday display that stuck out just a little too far into the aisle, throwing her dozens of shopping bags into the air as she goes down.
Except this isn’t a family-friendly holiday movie, this is your life, and you’ve had a slip and fall accident while doing your holiday shopping at Sawgrass Mills Mall. After a Slip & Fall Accident, what do you do next?
If you’ve been injured in any way at Sawgrass Mills Mall, you deserve to know if you are entitled to compensation for your injuries. The experienced Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys at Rosenberg Law Firm can help. Please contact us online or call our Coral Springs office directly at (954)755-7803 to schedule your free consultation.
Black Friday is just around the corner and promises to be the biggest shopping day of the year. But it’s not just Black Friday, the top 10 busiest retail shopping days of the year all fall between Black Friday and New Year’s Eve. And with the increased crowds comes a greater risk of injury, especially a slip & fall injury, while you are out shopping. But it isn’t just the crowds you have to watch out for. Several other factors are at work to make the 2021 holiday shopping season a kind of “perfect storm” for holiday shopping injuries in Florida.
We all know retail stores and restaurants are struggling to maintain proper staffing after the COVID-19 pandemic. This could mean that they are either understaffed or have a staff that is improperly trained in maintaining a safe shopping environment. You may have noticed how some stores have tried to cut costs—and corners—by cleaning and maintaining their spaces less frequently.
All these factors may mean an increased likelihood that stores will have disorganized walkways and ill-kept premises. Whether it is an unsecured extension cord powering the lights display, a bunched-up floor mat, a product placed in a walkway, or some hazard caused by improperly maintained devices or equipment, there are countless ways a store’s negligence could put you in harm’s way.
But it’s not only that: the supply chain issues and congestion at our ports mean consumers may be itching to get their hands on products stores have been saving up for the holiday season. This could drive some desperate people to do things they shouldn’t to ensure they get what they want. If another customer causes you to slip and fall, they may be responsible for your injuries.
You wouldn’t think of malls as dangerous places, and typically they aren’t. But with the holiday shopping rush, current staffing struggles, and supply chain bottlenecks, the only thing there won’t be a shortage of is potential hazards.
- Products fallen (or falling!) from shelves
- Product stored in a walkway
- Customers’ shopping bags haphazardly placed on the floor
- Wet and slippery floors or surfaces without proper warning
- Bathrooms with wet floors due to over-use, under-cleaning, or improper maintenance
- Spilled food or drink in a walkway
- Cracked or uneven sidewalk or walkway
- Pothole in parking lots
- Unexpected steps or drops without proper labels and warnings
- Another shopper running into you with their cart (or car!)
- Physical contact of any kind from another shopper
- Overcrowded store entrances and exits without appropriate flow of traffic
Slip and Fall Injuries Can Be a Big Deal, Says Florida Injury Lawyer
Did you know that falls, many from standing positions, are the single greatest cause for admission to some Level I Trauma Centers?
Slips and falls are no laughing matter. They could leave you seriously injured or with prolonged complications. If you slip and fall at Sawgrass Mills Mall while doing your holiday shopping, you may have a personal injury case on your hands.
But how can you know if you are at fault or if your injuries are due to the negligence of a person or corporation? How can you convince a jury that you really were knocked down by that over-eager shopper? You need an experienced South Florida Slip and Fall Attorney on your side to answer these questions.
There could be numerous defendants in a slip and fall case at Sawgrass Mills Mall. It could be the property management company, an individual store location or chain, a store’s insurance company, or a private individual. You need help sorting through the mud, so contact us today so you can focus on your holiday celebrations and your recovery.
If you were injured at no fault of your own, you of course deserve compensation. However, it is better to avoid the pain and suffering completely if possible. Here are a few things you can do this holiday shopping season to avoid a slip and fall injury:
- Maintain awareness of your surroundings. I know that shiny display beyond the sea of people is enticing, but pay attention to where you walk, those around you, and anything that looks unsafe.
- Don’t argue or fight over an item. Any deal is not worth getting injured or injuring another person.
- Don’t bring children if at all possible. If you do bring your children, emphasize the importance of staying close to you and not walking in front of other people or shopping carts.
- Be patient and move at a reasonable speed. There’s a reason why pools all say “No running!” Speed + wet surfaces = slip and fall. Whether on foot or in your car, take it slow.
- If a shop or crowd seems unsafe for any reason, avoid it. You can always come back later if things settle down.
Have you been injured in a Slip & Fall Accident at Sawgrass Mills Mall? Call Our Sunrise Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Despite your best efforts, sometimes accidents happen. If you suffer a slip and fall injury while Black Friday shopping at Sawgrass Mills Mall, or any other time of the year, you need to speak to an experienced slip and fall attorney as soon as possible.
Please contact us online or call our Coral Springs office directly at (954)755-7803 to schedule your free consultation. We proudly serve Florida residents including all of Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton Miami-Dade County, Broward County, Palm Beach County, and all points in between. Your holidays are worth it.