We’ve all had those moments of clumsiness that result in us landing on the floor with a thud. Often, we are more embarrassed than we are actually injured. But what if it wasn’t your own carelessness at all? What if there was a slick spot on the floor that you didn’t see or a tear in the carpet that caught your foot? And what if you were seriously hurt? When a business or property owner fails to maintain a safe environment for visitors and someone is injured as a result, they can—and should—be held liable for their negligence. If you think your injury was the result of property owner negligence, you may have a premises liability claim. At the Law Office of Andrew G. Rosenberg, P.A., we have the knowledge and experience to assess your situation and determine whether you have a claim.
Premises Liability Claims Are Not Easy to Win
Slip and fall and other types of premises liability claims are challenging, but Attorney Andrew G. Rosenberg doesn’t back down from a challenge. Many attorneys don’t want to put in the work these claims require, but we are committed to holding property owners accountable for their actions. Our team is aggressive and knows how to conduct the right kind of investigation to determine liability. To prove a premises liability claim, the following must be established:
- The property owner knew or should have known about the hazard.
- The property owner failed to fix the hazard or give warning about it.
- The plaintiff was injured because of the hazard.
It will also be important to establish why you were on the property. If you were a customer, invited social guest, salesperson, contractor, technician, or delivery person, the property owner is obligated to provide a safe environment. If you were a trespasser, you are likely not owed a duty of care, unless you are a child. When you meet with our attorney, we will determine your eligibility for compensation based on your status while you were on the property.
Types of Premises Liability Claims
While slip and falls are the most common premises liability claim, there are other ways people can be injured because of a property owner’s negligence. Attorney Rosenberg accepts the following types of cases:
- Falls. Slips and falls can be caused by spilled liquids or floor wax while trips and falls may be caused by wires and cords, torn carpeting, or loose railings. Falls can cause serious injuries, including broken bones, brain injuries, and back problems, requiring expensive treatment that you should not have to pay for.
- Inadequate building security. If poor lighting, lack of security guards, or malfunctioning security cameras leads to injury or assault, you may have a premises liability claim.
- Elevator and escalator accidents. When owners fail to properly maintain or repair elevators or escalators, malfunctions that cause injuries are their responsibility.
- Dog bites. As a strict liability state, dog owners can be held responsible when their dogs bite someone, even it’s the first incidence of aggression. Children are particularly vulnerable to dog bites, and their injuries can be serious.
- Swimming pool accidents. Pool owners are required to keep pools secured from uninvited guests—particularly children—and to maintain a safe pool deck, diving board, water quality, etc., to prevent accidents among invitees.
- Amusement park accidents. Were you injured at a tourist attraction in Florida? You will be up against a team of defense attorneys, so you will need a lawyer on your side as soon as possible.
- Toxic fumes or chemicals. If you suffer respiratory distress, skin burns, or other effects of toxic chemicals on someone else’s property, you may have a cause for legal action.
Trust Attorney Andrew G. Rosenberg When You Are Injured
Every business owner is expected to operate a safe environment for those invited to the premises, and they should be held accountable if their negligence—or that of their employees—leads to an unsafe environment resulting in slip and fall accident. If this can be proven, you should have a strong claim for compensation. Contact our Coral Springs office for a free consultation today.