What If I Get Into A Car Accident and I Have A Minor Child In The Car?

• January 28, 2022

Hey everybody, Andy here with an interesting topic that comes up when I have a client and they get in an auto accident and they have minor children.

Minor children is defined as anyone under the age of 18 and they get injured. The question becomes can they also be part of a claim against the other side for the injuries sustained?

The answer to that question is yes, they can, however there are special rules and issues regarding kids that are under the age of 18 because they are minors.

The typical rule is when you get a settlement that’s $15,000 or less to the minor then it can go to the natural parent or guardian, however if it’s above $15,000, in that settlement, a guardianship has to be prepared and presented with the court. It’s a little complicated. Make sure you see an attorney when all this happens.

I hope you found this worthwhile. If so please like or engage in my comments below or subscribe to my YouTube channel, that’d be great. In addition check out my social media sites twitter linkedin instagram and facebook and finally always check out askandylegal.com because I have lots of valuable information that you should find valuable. Take care and have a good one!

Have You Been Injured In A Florida Car Accident?

If you’ve been hurt in a car accident you need to speak with an experienced Florida car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Coral Springs office directly at 954.755.7803 to schedule your free consultation. We proudly serve Florida residents including all of Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Miami-Dade County, Broward County, Palm Beach County and all points in between.