Andrew Rosenberg
Helping Florida state residents with all of their estate planning and personal injury legal needs.

The Police Report is Wrong. What Can I Do?Florida Car Accident Lawyer Rosenberg Law Firm

You’ve been in a car accident and you called the police. They’ve taken your statement and the statement of the other driver. Finally, you’ve gotten the police report, but the facts are all wrong.  If you’ve read our article about Why You Should Call the Police After a Car Accident, then you know how integral the police report is to your case. It is an important document that insurance companies use to determine liability. But what if the police report does not accurately reflect what happened? What if the report has the facts wrong? If you disagree with the details of the police report after your accident, there are steps you can take to make sure your insurance adjuster gets the correct facts of the case and you don’t end up paying for an accident that wasn’t your fault.

Request An Amendment to Your Police Report

Because the police report is your main piece of unbiased evidence for your insurance adjuster usually, you need the information in it to be as accurate as possible. Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that mistakes happen. Maybe the responding officer misheard something or wrote down the wrong time of day or make of your car. If this happens, you must contact the police department through their non-emergency number to ask how to go about getting the report amended. The same officer who wrote the report will most likely be the one to handle the amendment, so it is important to be as polite as possible.

Factual Errors vs Non-Factual Errors

If the police report of your accident has factual errors, you can get the report amended to reflect what actually happened. This process is simple as long as you have documentation to prove the error on the report. A factual error would be something like having the wrong make of the car or the wrong street name where the accident occurred. This is the time when all those pictures you took at the scene of the accident and the statements you gave to doctors will come in handy.

If the errors in the police report are not factual or there is no proof to correct the error, amending the report will be difficult. An example of non-factual error is something like a statement from a witness. If you don’t agree with a statement in the police report, you have the option to write your own account of the event and request that it be submitted as evidence with the police report. Unfortunately, because this evidence is disputable, it may not be included with the report.

Act Quickly

You must also remember that time is of the essence when it comes to the police report. The insurance company will need the correct documentation to assess who is at fault and if you need to amend the police report, it needs to be done sooner rather than later. The moment you find the error, check the report for any other potential errors and contact the police station to get the report amended.

Have You Been Injured In A Florida Car Accident?

If you've been hurt in a car accident you need to speak with an experienced Florida car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Coral Springs office directly at 954.755.7803 to schedule your free consultation. We proudly serve Florida residents including all of Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Miami-Dade County, Broward County, Palm Beach County and all points in between.

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment